1) The criteria for filtering (e.g. selecting sex='male') and grouping (e.g.
group by state) should be dimensions - is this correct?
Yes, besides Kylin has limit of 63 dimensions at maximum.  But you should be
aware of 'The Curse of Dimensionality'.

2.1) Items that I would like to sum should be measures, is that right?
Yes.

2.2) Is there a limit to the number of measures?
No, there isn't such limit.

3) Did Kylin support sum(expression)?
From mysql doc
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/aggregate-functions.html#function_sum ,
we know MySQL supports it.
For Kylin, Kylin should support it for Kylin 3.X and the future version 5.x.
But unluckily, Kylin 4.x didn't support sum exprssion, and Kylin 4.x is the
version you are using.

4) Does Kylin support MEDIAN?

Yes, Kylin should support but I didn't test it. In fact, Kylin has a measure
PERCENTILE, and I think 50th percentile is equal to MEDIAN, am I right?

--

Best wishes to you !
From :Xiaoxiang Yu