+ a million to John, and I’m actually in the same boat. I stepped away
  due to a conflict, though I technically remain on the PMC (it seems).
  Every time I’ve wanted to come back the current design stops me, and
  that’s not speaking negatively, just that I have a difficult time
  approaching modern libcloud.
I work for a company much more supportive of open source now, and I’d
love to put my volunteer hours into libcloud again. I agree with
everything architectural discussed in this thread, and moving that
direction would rouse me from hibernation.
What would I add to the discussion is that the individual layers should
strive for requests-level simplicity and thought. I agree the ex_
approach is offputting. I think Python, especially modern Python, is
expressive enough to do this aspect well.
A data-driven approach to generating bindings is really, really
interesting. If that ends up being too bold for libcloud, I might help
explore that separately. That’s a really interesting idea.
-J