From: Daniel Zaltsman <dzalts...@digitalocean.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 5:38 PM
Subject: Rewarding Maintainers For Hacktoberfest 2020
To: Daniel Zaltsman <dzalts...@digitalocean.com>, Lorraine Nasser <
lnas...@digitalocean.com>
Cc: Hacktoberfest Maintainers <hacktoberfestmaintain...@digitalocean.com>

This email is only being sent to maintainers of OSS projects that have
received Open Source Sponsorship from DigitalOcean, have previously
participated in Hacktoberfest, or both.

Hi folks,

Every year we aim to make Hacktoberfest a better experience for the
maintainers who bear a unique burden of incoming contributors in October.

This year, we’ve created Preptember, a September-long initiative to educate
beginners and give you more time to prepare. Joining forces with DEV,
GitHub, and our important  partners, we’re committed to educating the
community on how to submit quality pull requests with a focus on quality
over quantity.

But we know this is not enough. That’s why we’ve found new ways to reward
you for your time and energy.

Here’s what we’ve packaged into the Maintainer Love Kit:

   1.

   $25 Open Collective <http://opencollective.com/> Gift Card for
   Individuals
   2.

   $1,000 in Ethereum towards your project through Gitcoin
   <https://gitcoin.co/>
   3.

   A Hacktoberfest-themed maintainer wallpaper

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZZHX_nV4m-y59fAjUdhpTxQtB3TseCtj/view?usp=sharing>
   4.

   Access to join DigitalOcean’s OSS Sponsorship Program

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P1ZqpxgKtiNibtWs53dLeCBmfp47Nqi6QlRg74lbsAc/edit>
   5.

   DigitalOcean swag item <https://store.digitalocean.com/doswag> of your
   choice

Not So Fine Print: We are able to offer option (1) and (2) only to the
projects and maintainers who actively work on Hacktoberfest this year.
Projects "working" on Hacktoberfest means projects that make some kind of
announcement around participation, label / respond to at least 10-20
relevant issues / threads, and participate or organize a Hacktoberfest event
<https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/eventkit> (this can simply be
office hours as many projects do.)

If you are interested, please reach out to
hacktoberfestmaintain...@digitalocean.com.

We know these rewards are just a starting point; we’ll commit to continue
to do more in the future to make Hacktopberfest a better experience for you
and your fellow maintainers.

Thanks again and see you in October!

Happy hacking,

Daniel Z.

Manager, Developer Relations

DigitalOcean

PS: If you've already taken the time to add labels like "help wanted" or
"up-for-grabs" to issues on your project, this script
<https://gist.github.com/andrewsomething/cd9bd46ab1faa12df1f86797492f784d>
might be useful for you. It will add the "hacktoberfest" label to any issue
that already has one of the specified labels.

PPS: Show off your projects and find open source contributors for
Hacktoberfest by dropping your project into this thread
<http://dev.to/devteam/whos-looking-for-collaborators-hacktoberfest-2020-jl89>
on DEV. You’ll need a DEV account — sign up here <https://dev.to/>. If
you’re planning to get involved, check out the resources page
<https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/details> on the Hacktoberfest site.
And to connect with more folks directly, visit the Hacktoberfest Discord
channel <http://discord.gg/hacktoberfest>.

Daniel Zaltsman
Manager, Developer Relations
dan...@do.co