I believe there were some discussions in the past, but nothing materialized
out of it.

Such functionality would of course be welcome in Libcloud.

It's worth noting that implementing a new API in Libcloud requires
implementing drivers for at least 3 different providers / implementations.

This way it's less likely for the standard API to be biased against a
single provider / implementation.