Hi,

we think it would be useful if control plane could run completely
separated from data plane. Today that's not possible, due to the way
control dissimenates the tunnel endpoints of its BGP peers (i.e. MX'es):

  - the BGP peer IP configured in control is used as the tunnel endpoint
IP that is distributed to the vrouters, etc.

A reference image is e.g. figure 2 of
http://www.opencontrail.org/opencontrail-architecture-documentation/#section2 (
http://www.opencontrail.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Figure02.png ).

If "data plane tunnel endpoint IP to disseminate" wasn't overloaded with
the control's BGP peer IP, control wouldn't need network access to the
data plane at all.

I've registered a note in launchpad about this for good order:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juniperopenstack/+bug/1547241

We believe it's a seemingly low hanging fruit to complete the
separation, but there may well be consequences we don't see, etc.

Best regards,
Martin