From: Valentine Sinitsyn [mailto:valentine.sinit...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 4:10 AM
To: Gasparakis, Joseph <joseph.gaspara...@intel.com>; dev@lists.opencontrail.org
Cc: ashbhal...@gmail.com; adapt...@juniper.net
Subject: Re: [opencontrail-dev] [TSC]Proposed set of sub-projects/components
along with mapping of existing repos

Hi all,

On 10.07.2017 13:05, Gasparakis, Joseph wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> These are the items for this topic:
>
> -What do we have?  Where is it?  Do we use it?  Who owns it?
>
> -Project wide structure and subcomponent structure. (TSC/PTL like)
>
> Trying to kick off the discussion, here are some (scattered) thoughts
> I have, please add your thoughts:
>
> *_What do we have?  Where is it?  Do we use it?  Who owns it?_*
>
> Here is a list of what I have seen in my (pretty brief exposure to
> OpenContrail)
>
> -Dependencies:
>
> oPackages from Ubuntu or RedHat (about 50 packages)
>
> ohttp://downloads.datastax.com (Cassandra driver + dev package, libuv)
>
> ohttp://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com (liburcu + dev package)
Plus Kafka (and librdkafka) and Redis for analytics/web ui.

> -Repo and build package in https://github.com/Juniper/contrail-vnc
> (why called contrail-vnc?) - Pulls from repos
>
> ocontrail-controller
>
> ocontrail-generateDS
>
> ovijava
>
> ocontrail-java-api
>
> ocontrail-vrouter-java-api
>
> ocontrail-vcenter-plugin
>
> ocontrail-build
>
> ocontrail-vrouter
>
> ocontrail-third-party
This fetches a whole bunch of third-party stuff including BIND and DPDK, and
patches most of it.

> ocontrail-sandesh
>
> ocontrail-packages
>
> ocontrail-nova-vif-driver
>
> ocontrail-nova-extensions
>
> ocontrail-neutron-plugin
>
> ocontrail-heat
>
> ocontrail-web-controller
>
> ocontrail-web-core
>
> ocontrail-webui-third-party
>
> ocontrail-web-storage
>
> ocontrail-web-server-manager

Plus contrail-dpdk for contrail-vrouter-dpdk.

> Is any other github/Juniper project needed?
>
> I do not know who the owners of the above are…
>
> *_Project wide structure and subcomponent structure. (TSC/PTL like)_*
>
> As embarrassing as it might seem, I do not recall what exactly this
> refers to… Anybody who attended the OpenContrail reboot Summit?
Wasn't it about deciding which [separable] subprojects the OpenContrail project
should be built of? Each project might have a separate PTL body, so a committer
in web ui isn't necessarily one in contrail-vrouter.

Some thought to kick off the discussion:

- A clear OpenStack separation. This is the top of my personal list. It should
be straightforward to see which bits are generic and which bits are OSS
integration. May require some changes to source code IIRC.

- Each sub-project defines a technology stack and a set of skills needed for
contribute. Roughly, we have REST APIs and config node services which are
mostly Python, control plane services (plus collector and query engine from
analytics) which are C++, and low-level vRouter part, not to mention Node-based
web ui. Maybe it makes sense to manage these separately, so that someone
interested to contribute to e.g. config API can commit and test their changes
with little or no interaction with control plane services. Makes multiproject
features more challenging though.

Best,
Valentine