We've had the work queued for a while (to use a service or DNS name)
and the problems you are roughly things we know we'd have to fix.  The
end goal would be to ensure that the hosts have access to the cluster
CA (so the Docker daemon can verify the name of the service against a
CA) and resolve.conf would also need to be set up.  SkyDNS runs on the
masters today and is load balanced over the service network, so you
can use the master's service IP on the nodes as the resolver on the
same address that the master users (that has some issues because of
DNS lookups).  Practically, most services *in* the cluster don't need
to talk to the registry directly, so it's also possible that we could
simply use an assigned name.  You can set OPENSHIFT_DEFAULT_REGISTRY
on the API servers in order to force the value to be a particular
name, which you could then make whatever you want in /etc/hosts on
each node, but you'd want to do that on a new cluster.  We have a card
queued up to make it easy to migrate the internal registry URL data.

There is no limiter on build pod nodes today other than the project
limiter, but it is planned.