Actually it looks like the problem here is specifically when your service
doesn't have an app label on it.  Thanks for reporting this, I've opened an
issue https://github.com/openshift/origin-web-console/issues/690

Graham as far as the updating issues, we've put a fix into 1.4 related to
this but if you have consistently reproducible steps where you see this
please let us know and we'll make sure we have fixed those cases as well.