You are likely not specifying deleteOptions for the API call and thus
defaulting to orphaning. You want propagationPolicy to be Foreground or
Background, not the default Orphan.

Note that the default propagationPolicy also depends on Deployment API
version in question, I think since GA Orphan is no longer the default
value.