I agree with the sentiment that supporting more OSes is a good thing.
However, I believe it is in the community's best interest to get a working
version of OKD4 rather sooner than later.
Management of the underlying machines' OS by k8s/a set of concerted
operators is a new (super exciting!) feature that is deeply integrated into
OpenShift 4, but is therefore at the moment also tightly coupled to key
OS/infra components like Ignition and RPM-OSTree.
Going from here, I see making it work with Fedora CoreOS (which shares
those components) as the path of least resistance for getting to a first
usable OKD4 release.
>From there, we can see where else the community wants to go and how we can
abstract away more of the underlying parts.
I think it is safe to say Red Hat has never shied away from upstreaming its
technologies, and I see no indication of why it should be any different in
this case.
Making all of this more universally applicable (and therefore upstreamable)
in the longer term is a thing I'd love to see done within the OKD community.