On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:03 AM Daniel Comnea <comnea.d...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would appreciate if anyone can please confirm that my understanding is
> correct w.r.t the way the router haproxy image [1] is built.
> Am i right to assume that the image [1] is is built as it's seen without
> any other layer being added to include [2] ?
> Also am i right to say the haproxy metrics [2] is part of the origin
> package ?
>

> A bit of background/ context:
>
> a while back on OKD 3.7 we had to swap the openshift 3.7.2 router image
> with 3.10 because we were seeing some problems with the reload and so we
> wanted to take the benefit of the native haproxy 1.8 reload feature to stop
> affecting the traffic.
>
> While everything was nice and working okay we've noticed recently that the
> haproxy stats do slowly increase and we do wonder if this is an
> accumulation or not cause (maybe?) by the reloads. Now i'm aware of a
> change made [3] however i suspect that is not part of the 3.10 image hence
> my question to double check if my understanding is wrong or not.
>

> Cheers,
> Dani
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/openshift/origin/tree/release-3.10/images/router/haproxy
> [2]
> https://github.com/openshift/origin/tree/release-3.10/pkg/router/metrics
> [3]
> https://github.com/openshift/origin/commit/8f0119bdd9c3b679cdfdf2962143435a95e08eae#diff-58216897083787e1c87c90955aabceff

I think Clayton (copied) has the history here, but the nature of the
metrics commit you referenced is that many of the exposed metrics points
are counters which were being reset across reloads. The patch was (I think)
to enable counter metrics to correctly aaccumulate across reloads.

As to how the image itself is built, the pkg directly is part of the router
controller code included with the image. Not sure if that answers your
question.

--

Dan Mace

Principal Software Engineer, OpenShift