On Aug 16, 2019, at 10:39 AM, Michael McCune <elm...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:27 PM Christian Glombek <cglom...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> The OKD4 roadmap is currently being drafted here:
>
> https://hackmd.io/Py3RcpuyQE2psYEIBQIzfw
>
> There was an initial discussion on it in yesterday's WG meeting, with some
> feedback given already.
>
> I have updated the draft and am now calling for comments for a final time,
> before a formal
> Call for Agreement shall follow at the beginning of next week on the OKD
> WG Google group list.
>
> Please add your comments before Monday. Thank you.

i'm not sure if i should add this on the document, but is there any
consensus (one way or the other) about the notion of bringing forward the
all-in-one work that was done in openshift-ansible for version 3?

i am aware of code ready containers, but i would really like to see us
provide the option for a single machine install.

It’s possible for someone to emulate much of the install, bootstrap, and
subsequent operations on a single machine (the installer isn’t that much
code, the bulk of the work is across the operators).  You’d end up copying
a fair bit of the installer, but it may be tractable.  You’d need to really
understand the config passed to bootstrap via ignition, how the bootstrap
script works, and how you would trick etcd to start on the bootstrap
machine.  When the etcd operator lands in 4.3, that last becomes easier
(the operator runs and configures a local etcd).

Single master / single node configurations are possible, but they will be
hard.  Many of the core design decisions of 4 are there to ensure the
cluster can self host, and they also require that machines really be
members of the cluster.

A simpler, less complex path might be to (once we have OKD proto working)
to create a custom payload that excludes the installer, the MCD, and to use
ansible to configure the prereqs on a single machine (etcd in a specific
config), then emulate parts of the bootstrap script and run a single
instance (which in theory should work today).  You might be able to update
it.  Someone exploring this would possibly be able to get openshift running
on a non coreos control plane, so worth exploring if someone has the time.

peace o/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/okd-wg/CADE%2BktTuSSUaZZ-vPYkOLHKiojM9%2B5qgQVtV1pS7z7eTcu7jdw%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/okd-wg/CADE%2BktTuSSUaZZ-vPYkOLHKiojM9%2B5qgQVtV1pS7z7eTcu7jdw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.