On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 20:05:48 -0400,
Freemor wrote:

> Greeting,
>
>    This may be a foolish thought I'm not sure be cause so far my searching has
>  not turned up any detailed info. But...
>
>    With all the recent ICU related rebuild I was noticing that most of the
>  Mozilla compiles include:
>
>     ac_add_options --with-system-icu
>
>   If we disabled that would we end up with less fragile builds of these things
> or would it just make a heinous mess. If the former is is something we wont to
> consider doing.
>
>   I'll keep searching for info on the option but perhaps people more skilled
> then I already know the answer.

There's a decades-old debate about "static linking" vs "dynamic
linking".  Most distros (with real package managers, at least) are in
the "dynamic linking" camp.  Both have real benefits though, and
you're right, staticly linking against ICU would mean we'd avoid
having to rebuild when ICU updates.

Usually, the ICU trouble takes 12 hours at most.  It's exacerbated
right now because of several other things going on with Iceweasel at
the same time (the trouble with ffmpeg 4, with firefox 60, having to
hand the package off to someone else for a while...).

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker