how is the sub function getting called? you may need to pass $this
through to it.. here's how that works with register_action:

function init() {
  $this->load_config();
  $this->add_texts('localization/', true);
  $this->register_action('plugin.thing', array($this, 'thing'));
}

function thing($args) {
  $rcmail = rcube::get_instance();
  $this->gettext('somelabel_from_my_lang.inc_file')
}