Check the older version from Scilab 5.5.2
The example in the documentation can be found at:

For the new version Scilab 6.0.1
The same example, but adapted for the new API can be found at

It looks to me that they are quiet different. The 6.0 API is more closely
to the
matlab interface mex-file. (If I remember it correctly, was some years ago
I used matlab)
Also you needs less code to realize the same interface.
Overall for me it looks a lot cleaner.

But that's just my impression.

What I understood from it is, that you can also use the old interface. Many
old function such as plot
still use this style API.

Happy coding.