On 05/08/2017 08:05 AM, Samuel Tay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw on r/haskell
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/681hec/snowdriftdev_haskell_dev_volunteers_needed/>
>  that
> snowdrift is looking for volunteer Haskell devs. I'd love to contribute
> and keep up on my functional programming skills. I've gone through the
> whole Haskell Book and LYAH and completed a few small projects (Github
> ref <https://github.com/samtay>), and think I'm ready to contribute in a
> team environment. I can probably only spare a few (~ 4 - 6) hours a
> week. Is this doable? If so, can someone let me know how I can start
> contributing?
>
> Samuel Tay
> (631) 291-3866
> sam.chong....@gmail.com <mailto:sam.chong....@gmail.com>

Hi Samuel! Welcome!

Sorry for being a bit late in replying. We are in the process of
cleaning things up to get back to being easier for newcomers to get
started. We did a bunch of refactoring just before we had some personal
shifts in developer-availability (as references in the note you saw).

Bryan, our lead dev, has a bunch of notes that he still needs to get
sorted and explained to others more clearly. I think getting everything
to work with GHC 8 is one of the things toward making the code cleaner
going forward (not sure about the details).

At any rate, some coding 4 hours a week would certainly make a
difference, be a great learning experience, and I hope we can do what is
needed to get you on board smoothly.

The code is at https://git.snowdrift.coop/sd/snowdrift and you can
certainly start by following the guides there in getting the code built
locally. You could do any improvements you see needed in the docs that
are included in the repo. If everything seems straightforward, you could
start exploring the structure of the code, ask questions here, etc.

When that's all set, I hope we can then figure out the best way to get
to doing some real coding.

Cheers,
Aaron (co-founder, novice coder/Haskeller doing much of the non-code
tasks here)