I'm on Parabola and had the same issue as well.  I found a dirty hack that
works for me, at least until I have time to play around and find a better
solution.  At
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41365866/installing-zlib-using-stack-recompile-with-fpic
they mention a hack in the ghc settings under the .stack/ directory within
the project.  If you follow those steps to disable PIE, then it should
compile.

I will note that we are looking in moving away from Stack and moving closer
to Nix, which is the package manager for NixOS but works on all distros.
By using such a package manager, we can hopefully create a system whereby
the code will work on any distro without having to have special hacks on
each one.  This is one of the reasons I haven't sought out a better
solution, though it may not be a bad idea to figure this out for Stack so
future folks don't have the same issue while we transition.

Thanks for bringing this up!