Hello Carsten,

After publishing my article, several unreasonable news appeared on the Internet. That's why, I'd like to note that in my article I didn’t write about the bad/good quality of Tizen code or that PVS-Studio analyzer is magic, best of the best. I only gave those numbers that I’d got. I can't talk about the quality of Tizen code, since I have insufficient data for this purpose. I understand clearly what you are talking about and agree with you.

My objective was to show that despite the already used techniques, PVS-Studio analyzer can help to make Tizen code better and more reliable. As I think, I managed to demonstrate this by pointing to the 900 fragments of code, which, in my opinion, deserve attention, fixing and refactoring.

Unfortunately, the question "Include this as a bugs per 1 k lines of code or similar metric?" is not very clear.

In my opinion, the article presents all the necessary data. I've got:

 * The density of detected errors in code (c) 2015 Samsung Electronics:
   0.41 errors on 1000 lines of code.
 * The density of detected errors in the third-party libraries: 0.36
   errors on 1000 lines of code.

(I did not consider comments as the lines of code).

Can these data be incorrect? Yes, they can. This is not a scientific research, this is a demonstration on practice that the tool may be useful.

Moreover, some errors, in Tizen developers’ opinion, canbe not that erroneous. Well, at least, there is no sense to fix them. Then the density of detected errors will diminish.

On the other hand, I might highlight not all the errors. I approached to the study of the report very carefully, but without bigotry. For example, I was a bit lazy to study the warnings V730 - https://www.viva64.com/en/w/V730/. This is a very time consuming and thankless work, when you work with someone else's code. All the time it is unclear, if it is dangerous or not, that some class member has been left uninitialized. It is a tedious long labour that needs to be done carefully. So, perhaps, with more careful reviewing of the log, other errors can be found.

About the comparison with the quality of other projects... Difficult question. I ask to understand, that while writing the articles we don’t have the aim to compare which code is better or worse.Therefore, we usually stop when found enough of quite interesting bugs for writing an article. Performing the careful analysis of all warnings for a large project will take a lot of time. I also ask to consider that it is difficult and long to deal with unknown code. Therefore, we sometimes mention about density of errors only for small projects, since is not very difficult to view the whole report. Examples:

 * Notepad++: we detect about 2 errors per 1000 lines of code.
   https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0511/
 * Far Manager for Linux: we detect about 0.464 errors per 1000 lines
   of code. https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0478/
 * Tor project: we do not find anything. Density
   0.https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0507/ <https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0507/>

As we can see, the results are different. However, it seems to me they are not worth to concentrate on. Static analyzer is a tool of finding bugs in fresh code. Yes, old mistakes are also worth to be fixed, but generally they are not as critical as new ones. Actually, if the error is in the code for several years,it means that it rarely reveals itself or interferes no one. That’s why it is interesting to look to the future rather than the past. Sure, the PVS-Studio analyzer can be a good assistant for a programmer.

About the percent of false positives. It makes no sense to talk about them without first configuring the analyzer. It's a lot of work, which we are ready to engage, if a cooperation begins someday. Can we deal with it? Yes, we can:

 *
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/how-pvs-studio-team-improved-unreal-engines-code
 *
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/static-analysis-as-part-of-the-process

I think when it comes to projects of such a large size as Tizen, it makes sense to speak not only on product licensing, but also on a great support, carried out by our team.

P.S. On Monday I will demonstrate that the analyzer can be useful not only for finding bugs, but also regarding micro-optimizations. :)

 ----
Best regards,
Andrey Karpov, Microsoft MVP,
Ph.D. in Mathematics, CTO