In principle, you may reuse the Linux kernel of SGS9 for Tizen.
You can get the source code of SGS9 Linux kernel at opensource.samsung.com

Cheers,
MyungJoo.

--------- Original Message ---------

Sender : Raouf Rokhjavan <rokhjava...@gmail.com>

Date : 2019-04-26 01:45 (GMT+9)

Title : [Dev] Porting Tizen 5.0 to Galaxy Smartphones

Hi,

After using Galaxy smart watches, I got really interested in Tizen OS as an open source platform connecting a wide variety of embedded devices together; meanwhile, it gives us much more flexibility to tune it for specific devices and usecases which is not quite attainable on other platforms.

Despite using Tizen on low-end smartphones, I found that no new Tizen-based smartphone has been released since 2017. What does it mean? Did Samsung get disappointed from Tizen on the smartphone market? On the other hand, I am really intrigued to port Tizen OS on more advanced hardware like new Samsung's smartphones of Galaxy series.

Although I want to port Tizen 5.0 to Galaxy S9, the most challenging problem, as far as I know, is the availability of drivers and HALs. How can I port Tizen 5.0 to Galaxy S9? Is it basically possible considering available public resources related to the hardware of S9? After porting, can I experience basic functionalities of  S9 similar to what we have in community based Android OSs like Lineage OS?

Thank you.

Raouf

MyungJoo Ham (함명주), Ph.D.

On-Device Lab, Platform Team, Samsung Research.
Cell: +82-10-6714-2858