Hmm, I remember this... it was left as a "todo" item when the app
monitoring was added.

The document you wrote seems to be a long way of saying you'll have a
few threads talking to YARN and updating the state of application
handles in Livy. Is that right?

I would investigate whether there's any API in YARN to do a bulk get
of running applications with a particular filter; then you could make
a single call to YARN periodically to get the state of all apps that
Livy started.

--
Marcelo