I am neutral about moving to Java 8 soon.

We have just recently started to make a lot of package rename changes that
really belong in 3.0 and not in 2.11...
We should consider doing a 2.11 release from a commit before we started to
rename packages.

Then doing the modules split-off and clarifying the internal vs exported
classes would be a good fit for a 3.0 major release.