Not all MIME types actually use the encoding parameter. For example,
"application/json;charset=UTF-8" is technically an invalid MIME type (it's
supposed to be "application/json", and it's assumed to be UTF-8 because
that's the only official charset for JSON). Providing the charset
separately makes semantic sense to me.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>