If my understanding of the PR is correct, I've implemented similar
output using PatternLayout with a pattern along these lines, though
it's not very pretty to read:

{"timestamp":"%d{ISO8601}", "level":"%p",
"logger":"%encode{%c}{JSON}", "thread":"%encode{%t}{JSON}", "message":
"%encode{%m}{JSON}", "trace": "%encode{%xEx}{JSON}"}%n

I wonder if this is sufficient, or if we can implement pattern
converters to fill the gaps?

-Carter