Thinking more on this issue made me question the ideal way to pass
Java string literals to plugins.

I first gave Matt's suggestion a try, set eventDelimiter="�" in the
XML and got the following error:

ERROR StatusLogger Error parsing /home/vy/...Logging.xml
 org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId:
file:///home/vy/...Logging.xml; lineNumber: 29; columnNumber: 55;
Character reference "&#
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:257)

Next I tried passing escapes from a properties files instead. Setting
eventDelimiter=\r\n\0 results in string "\r\n0".

Hence, I am pretty confident that the user input needs to be escaped
and I need to unescape it upon reception. There is an ad-hoc
`unescapeJava()` method shared in a StackOverflow post[1]. The thread
also references StringEscapeUtils.unescapeJava() (from commons) and
String#translateEscapes() (Java 13+) alternatives along with their
caveats.

At this stage, I am inclined to pick the solution shared in
StackOverflow[1]. Note that accepting escape characters will void the
need to nullEventDelimiterEnabled flag. To sum it up,

1. May I have your blessing for using the StackOverflow snippet?
2. Is it okay with regards to licensing?

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/4298836/1278899