Note that XML can have problems of its own. Using DTDs can create security
vulnerabilities. These day some form of JSON or a binary protocol such as
protobuf would be preferred. The main thing is that the payload not contain
information regarding the classes to instantiate (as Java serialization does)
and that it doesn’t reference URLs that are automatically contacted.

Ralph