> > As part of my goal of making log4cxx ABI compatible, I've added a new check
> > to the Github actions that will run automatically to see if there are any
> > ABI changes.  Currently it's just sitting in a PR(
> > https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/58) if anybody wants to
> > check it out before I merge it.[...]
>
> Just to be sure I understand correctly: There's always an "abi.dump"
> in the repo as how the ABI should look like. For each new commit the
> GitHub action generates "new-abi.dump" to compare against and fails in
> case of differences. If the ABI should be changed by purpose, the
> action can be made aware by simply committing a newer version of
> "abi.dump" as part of a change/PR.
>
> Correct?

Yes, that is correct.

> > On a somewhat related note, since we are now making use of the new C++11
> > features(shared_ptr, mutex, etc), what should the goal of our next release
> > be and when would it make sense?  I ask because we could go for the next
> > release being ABI-compatible, although it would be rather tedious to do
> > that - there's a lot of code that would need to be changed, but it's not
> > particularly hard.
>
> This reads to me like if you want to release pretty soon what is
> available now? If so, I totally agree, otherwise I would be fine with
> as well. ;-)
>
> Everything you have changed right now should make the lib more stable.
> Just think of the memory leaks and thread-issues which should be fixed
> now. OTOH, it has the risk of breaking things for users with older
> toolchains like me. THOUGH, even then it's good to make people aware
> of that early with a release right now. So make a 0.12.0 now, so that
> fixes mostly related to C++11 etc. can be published as 0.12.X and keep
> ABI-compatibility for 0.13 or alike.

That sounds like a good idea to me.  I'll start doing that in a week
or two, I think there's still some documentation that I want to make
sure is updated.  That should also give it a period of time to allow
for any new bug(s) to be reported.  I have some applications on my
side as well that I'll compile with and make sure that they still work
correctly.

-Robert Middleton