I can do the security release if something exists in a good state.
The reasoning for me is that there are still many applications that
exist that have not upgraded, even though it's been 6+ years.

If it is binary compatible as well, that makes upgrades easy(I'm
thinking of a case where you have an application from a 3rd party that
you need to use but the vendor won't update because it's EOL or
something like that).  Dropping the new JAR in should be good enough
to mitigate security vulnerabilities for those applications.

-Robert Middleton