Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Sonntag, 2. Januar 2022 um 02:38 schrieben Sie:

> 2. Create a constexpr function that we control[...]
> 3. Use std::string_view(for C++17) or
> boost::string_view(pre-c++17).[...]

Just to make sure I understand correctly: The difference between 2 and
3 is using a custom implementation vs. an already available one?

As we rely on boost for whatever is not supported by the compiler
anyway already, I prefer yur option 3 then. Looking at the PR, we had
already three different implementations proposed in the end and I
don't see any benefit to discuss those further when "string_view"
handles all of this already.

> [...]I can see certain
> circumstances where it is useful to have the full path, for example
> when you have two files named the same(please don't do this).

I'm doing this sometimes and in theory it shouldn't be a problem if
placed into different namespaces. Shouldn't it? Of course some broken
IDEs/compilers like Embarcadero C++-Builder don't work properly with
that in case of incremental builds, but that's not too much of a
problem for me.

Regarding absolute paths, one might want to keep in mind that not
everyone ships results from automatic builds like Jenkins only and/or
uses multiple different branches for different customers with slightly
modified codebase at the same time. So keeping absolute paths if
available before makes sense to me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

--
AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH
Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

E-Mail: thorsten.schoen...@am-soft.de
Web:    http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Tel:   05151-  9468- 0
Tel:   05151-  9468-55
Fax:   05151-  9468-88
Mobil:  0178-8 9468-04

AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
AG Hannover HRB 221853 - Geschäftsführer: Janine Galonska