It seems to me that this would only work if a) there exists a stable
API/ABI for log4j and b) sufficient demand for the appenders exists.
If a stable API/ABI doesn't exist, then the new maintainers would be
on the hook for any changes that log4j made, which seems unreasonable
to me.

-Robert Middleton