Great initiative to revamp the Logging Services landing page! Go for it!
But don't change JBake and stick to AsciiDoc, please.

*Summary:*

   1. JBake is great, reproducible, and familiar
   2. "INFRA support" is not a valid argument
   3. Markdown is a dead end
   4. The future should ideally not be individual websites

*JBake is feature-wise on par with alternatives*

There are a plethora of static site generators; Jekyll, Pelican, Hugo,
JBake, etc. Almost every language ecosystem has its own take on it. But
they all boil down to a couple of basic conveniences:

   - pick a typesetting format of your preference (AsciiDoc, Markdown, etc.)
   - generate pages with a templating engine of your preference (Velocity,
   FreeMarker, Handlebars, etc.)
   - compile it to a bunch of static HTML files

Some even include batteries:

   - built-in plugins (sitemap, tagging/labeling, search, etc.)
   - preview (so you don't even need an HTTP server of yours)
   - hot reload (so you don't need to compile it manually every time)

JBake excels in all these areas.

> docker run --rm -p 4000:4000 --mount type=bind,src=$PWD,dst=/root/build
--mount type=volume,dst=/root/build/node_modules -it
apache/privacy_apache_org serve --watch --incremental

Uh... That hurts. This is how you can achieve the same in JBake: `./mvnw
jbake:watch`.

*The unspoken killer feature: reproducibility*

I have been tinkering with static site generators for more than a decade –
I love them. I don't know of your experience, but anything beyond Java
sucks a big time when it comes to reproducibility. You cannot run a Ruby
application written 10 years ago on a modern operating system. Many Ruby
libraries depend on system libraries that either are not shipped with the
distro anymore or broke the ABI in the past. I need to use this
hand-crafted `Dockerfile`
<https://github.com/vy/vy.github.io/blob/source/Dockerfile> running on
Ubuntu `14.04` with a particular constellation of Ruby dependencies so that
I can install a version of `nanoc` that compiles my website. It is an
operational nightmare.

But let's talk about Java and JBake: `./mvnw jbake:watch`. This only
requires the host to have a decent OS, shell, and JDK. That is all. No
more, no less. Docker? Nah. Python? Nah. Some weird OS package? Nah. I can
confidently say this command will highly likely run without a single line
of change for several decades. Given its historical track record, I don't
think any other alternative can beat Java in this area and it is of
uttermost importance given how hard it is for the PMC to afford time on the
website.

*The argument of familiarity*

90% of Logging Services committers are Java developers. That is where our
expertise lies in. If you throw at them a `pom.xml` and a bunch of AsciiDoc
files in `src/site/asciidoc`, without blinking an eye, they would correctly
guess what to do. Moving away from this safe zone to uncharted territories,
in particular, without factually justifying the rationale, will simply do
more harm than benefit, if there is any at all.

*The argument of "INFRA supports Jekyll and Pelican"*

What does that support exactly entail? You don't need to compile the site
and push changes to a particular branch that INFRA monitors to serve the
actual domain? It is a dozen lines of GitHub Actions workflow YAML. I
volunteer to do this.

ASF INFRA serves projects by providing infrastructural functions that
didn't exist... decades ago? Many of its offerings are superseded by far
better alternatives in platforms like GitHub, GitLab, etc.

*Markdown-vs-AsciiDoc*

If you look close (and long?) enough to a Markdown-based document
collection, you will notice HTML tags, everywhere. Wait a second? Why did
we decide to use Markdown in the first place? To avoid manually typing
HTML! Yup. The moment you want to do formatting that is slightly
sophisticated (putting a code block under a bullet, annotating source code,
admonitions, etc.) Markdown collapses. Hence, people reach out to sprinkle
HTML into their Markdown. This makes templating impossible in the long run,
since every single hand-written HTML will have its own style, formatting,
structure, etc. which totally defeats the purpose of using a unified markup
language. Hence, please use a markup language that would suffice the
formatting needs of a technical document. Given its rich feature set,
wealthy ecosystem, and large community, I doubt if there is an alternative
here besides AsciiDoc.

*The future of Logging Services websites*

In its current state, we have several projects erecting their own websites
by tooling of their preferences: Log4cxx uses Doxygen, Log4j Scala API uses
`asciidoc-maven-plugin`, Log4j 2 and Log4j Kotlin API uses
`maven-site-plugin`, etc. Such a diverse ecosystem requires significant
maintenance investment. Maintenance of not just the tooling, but also
styling. In my opinion, ideally, projects should simply provide a set of
global pages (about, support, etc.) in their `main` branch and
version-specific programmer-friendly-formatted (in AsciiDoc!) manuals
stored in branches next to the code they document, e.g., `2.x`, `3.x`, etc.
That should be the territory where committers deal with their websites.
Enabled GitHub Issues for the project? Edit `support.adoc` in the `main`
branch. Is there a typo in the "Getting Started" page? Edit
`getting-started.adoc` in `2.x` branch, and so on. The rest – converting
these into HTML pages, pushing this to a website, generating release notes,
adding a search bar, styling the page, syntax highlighting source code,
etc. – should be done by a separate "tool" located elsewhere. This will
enable the committers to stop worrying about the website and its
intricacies once and for all. As a bonus, Logging Services will have a one
uniform beautifully-dressed look to the outside world where they can
navigate with ease. The good news is, the tooling is there and it is called
Antora <https://antora.org/>. Somebody just needs to spearhead this effort
and put a handful of strongly-opinionated guys on the same page. 😅

*Saving the day*

Do you just want to save the day? Go ahead, JBake and AsciiDoc are a great
combo. People will appreciate it. It will certainly be an improvement. Do
you want to build the future? You should look beyond a single project and
its individual website.