Hi All,

When working on large patches, such as LUCENE-2324, I find it always troublesome to use patch files only to track progress. Since branching in svn works fine now (since 1.5) I'd like to create a branch for 2324. The big advantage is that everyone can track progress much more easily because we get a full history on that branch. And people who commit patches to trunk can help merging, because it's sometimes very difficult if you haven't followed that other change closely.

I talked about this with Robert, Uwe and Simon in Berlin, and they all like this proposal.

So two different approaches come to my mind:
1) branches/patches/LUCENE-2324/
2) branches/lucene-realtime/

1) We would have a dedicated place for branches that are used for individual patches. Every committer who thinks it makes sense for a certain patch to create a branch can do in the branches/patches location.

2) Like with flexible indexing we create a branch for bigger features. E.g. for realtime search there are several open issues in JIRA and we could just use this single branch for all of them until we're ready to merge a stable realtime version to trunk.

I like both 1) and 2) and don't have a strong preference. What do others think?

 Michael