I've seen a few situations recently where the ability to 'reshard'
distributed solr setups would be very useful.

Much of what is needed is already there (or relatively easy to
implement). The crucial bit is effective splitting of a Lucene index.

I've seen (and used) the MultiPassIndexSplitter in contrib, but have
seen suggestions here [1] that there might be a more efficient, lower
level way to achieve it - more akin to the process of merging two

So, my question is, what would be involved in coding a single pass
IndexSplitter?

I don't expect it to be easy, but I'd really like to know (a) whether it
is possible and (b) approximately what you'd need to do.

Thanks in advance!

Upayavira

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/abial/eurocon2010