On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Jason Rutherglen
<jason.rutherg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, deadlock is no good.  Maybe we should add a comment explaining
> what's going on.

Good idea, I'll add a comment.

> I was thinking maybe the merge cost could be the
> issue, even though in most cases CMS'll be running the merges in the
> background, with SMS and blocked CMS, we don't want IW's monitor
> blocking further operations.

Right.

See, CMS needs to protect itself in the case where the rate of
production of segments exceeds the rate of merging... it has no other
way to do so except to stall any foreign thread that calls .merge.

SMS doesn't have that problem since it steals the foreign thread
anyway to do the merging.  It naturally balances...

Mike