Hi, Da,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Da Huang <dhuang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have spent some time considering your suggestions in last mail. I find
> that I'm interested in the suggestion " Filter and Query should be more
> 'combined' ".

OK, cool, and ambitious; it might be safer to choose a less
ambitious/controversial change for a GSoC project.

Maybe, have a look at LUCENE-1518?  There was lots of discussion there.

> In my opinion, to implement this suggestion, a new class "FilterQuery",
> which is a subclass of "Query",  should be created. If "FilterQuery" is
> implemented, then it can be the query element of "BooleanClause", and the
> "BooleanQuery" can naturally add a "Filter" as a "BooleanClause". I think
> one of the most important things is to deal with the scores, as Filter does
> not contribute anything to score.

I feel like it should be the opposite?  Like, a Filter has less
functionality that a Query, because it does only matching?  So I would
think a Quey would subclass Filter and then add scoring onto it?  But
there was lots of discussion on the above issue that I don't
remember...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com