Hey folks,

I'm volunteering to be the ref guide RM, and my plan of attack is as follows...

0) We've had the 4_8 branch for a fair while now, at this point there shouldn't be much question which *features* will make it into 4.8, the only things outstanding should be bug fixes.

Which means there's very little reason to hold off on a 4.8 Ref Guide release unless people are actively working on tewaking/improving the docs.

1) people interested in helping with finalizing stuff for the 4.8 ref-guide should go ahead and jump on the TODO list ASAP...

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Internal+-+TODO+List

...if you see stuff you want to try and get in before 4.8, edit that page to put your name in a bullet underneath it. If you finish taking care of something, corss it off that page. If you see something that you think should be a blocker to the 4.8 ref guide, reply to this email with details, or add a big, bold, red note to that page.

2) I'll review the TODO list arround 24 hours after the first Lucene/Solr 4.8 RC VOTE is called -- if it doesn't look like anyone is in hte middle of working on stuff, I'll go ahead and cut a ref-guide RC. If it looks like people are actively working on stuff (or have flagged something as a blocker) i'll sync up with them and figure out how long we should hold off (or if what their working on should really be a blocker).

3) ref-guide RCs are cheap and easy to produce - if something gets overlooked in step #2, but quickly fixed after the fact, we'll just keep tweaking & doing release candidates.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/