I think there was a discussion/JIRA on moving to AngularJS (or
ReactJS?). Maybe this should be a part of that discussion.

What is the process for discussion UI? Was this a heroic effort by
one/two individual or was there a subgroup of some sort?

Regards,
   Alex.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency