How about a warning section in Admin UI that shows possible issues
with the configuration.

Could start with something absolutely basic like missing default field
(we can detect that from configuration, right?) but I am sure there
are other issues we could think of.

Regards,
   Alex.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency