The only thing I don't like is the loss of the current credit system - I like that better than the crawl through JIRA method. I think prominent credits are a good encouragement for new contributors.

Any comments on that?

- Mark

On 12/2/10 11:46 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
I think we should drop the item by item change list and instead focus on 3
things:
1. Prose describing the new features (see Tika's changes file for instance) and
things users should pay special attention to such as when they might need to
re-index.
2. Calling out explicit compatibility breaks
3. A Pointer to full list of changes in JIRA.  Alternatively, I believe there
is a way in JIRA to export/generate a summary of all issues fixed.

#1 can be done right before release simply by going through #3 and doing the
appropriate wordsmithing.  #2 should be tracked as it is found.

It's kind of silly that we have all this duplication of effort built in, not
too mention having to track it across two branches.

We do this over in Mahout and I think it works pretty well and reduces the
duplication quite a bit since everything is already in JIRA and JIRA produces
nice summaries too.  It also encourages people to track things better in JIRA.
#1 above also lends itself well as the basis of press releases/blogs/etc.

-Grant