> I do agree we should be returning null not EMPTY_DOCIDSET since
> Filter.getDocIDSet's jdoc clearly states a null return means no docs are
> accepted.

I disagree. NULL is a stupid indicator, if something is empty it should
return something empty. I also don't like somebody returning NULL instead of
Collections.emptySet() or like that. We should document Filter and also
Weight.scorer to always return non-null and also supply a
Scorer.EMPTY_SCORER. If you want to optimize something, you can always
change you loops to first do next() and then exit early.

> And I think I'm on the opposite side of the fence on null returns, at
least for
> advanced APIs -- I'd prefer not to hide information (by returning an empty
> instance) in this case.  But other cases I think should never return null
-- eg
> once you have a non-null DocIdSet, then its .iterator() should never
return
> null.

I agree. DocIdSet.iterator() should return EMPTY_DOCIDSETITERATOR.