Great :)

Also, realize that certain queries (MultiTermQuery) spend lots of time
in "rewrite" and (sometimes, anyway) comparatively small amounts of
time in actually running the query.  So it'd be nice to have a good
way to let multiple threads participate in rewrite too.

Thread scheduling/prioritization is also important, so that a big slow
query doesn't starve execution for fast queries.  Ideally
(unfortunately!) I think we'd want something like how the OS schedules
processes, ie new processes run with higher priority than long running
resource consuming processes.  So a new query would get higher
priority, but, if it runs for a long time, it's priority is reduced.
Not sure how we should solve that one...

Mike