On 1/16/11 11:08 AM, Shai Erera wrote:
I think the reasonable solution is to have a modules/maven package, with build.xml that generates whatever needs to be generated. Whoever cares about maven should run the proper Ant targets, just like whoever cares about Eclipse/IDEA can now run "ant eclipse/idea". We'd have an "ant maven". If that's what you intend doing in 2657 then fine.

The person "who cares about maven" is the one who puts a few lines of xml into their ivy or maven config files, which downloads automatically the specified version from a central repository. It's a very convenient thing and stopping to publish artifacts will require everyone who has such a build system setup to change the way they get their Lucene jar files.

There is an impressive amount of tools available in maven repos, it'd probably not be good if something as popular as Lucene was missing there.

I don't think any user needs the ability to run an ant target on Lucene's sources to produce maven artifacts - what they want is published artifacts in a central repo.

I personally don't need Lucene to be in such a repo, but I wanted to point out why I think it can be very useful.

 Michael