Devs & contributors, please remember to be nice to other contributors
and describe what your patch is trying to do in the JIRA issue.

For patches that add/change an API, that means giving an example or
specifying what the API is.  People should not have to read through
source code to try and reconstruct what an API actually looks like in
order to give feedback on a proposed API.

Also, for CHANGES, please consider what it will take for others to
understand the actual change.  Don't automatically just use the JIRA
description.
 - if you added a new parameter, then put that parameter in the description
 - where appropriate, put a short/concise example (not more than a few
lines though) - when to do this is more subjective, but please think
about it for very commonly used APIs.

For the sake of example, I'll pick on the first feature added for 5.2:

from CHANGES.txt:
'''
New Features
----------------------
* SOLR-6637: Solr should have a way to restore a core from a backed up index.
'''

So it's saying we *should* have a feature (as opposed to saying we
actually now do have a feature, and what that feature is), and doesn't
give you any clue how that feature was actually implemented, or how
you could go about finding out.

So next, I go to SOLR-6637 to try and see what this feature actually
consists of.
Unfortunately, there's never an example of how someone is supposed to
try this feature out.  We're setting a high bar for contribution from
others.

So next, I use the source to try and reconstruct what the API actually
looks like.
I find what looks like will be the right test class:
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/handler/TestRestoreCore.java?view=markup

Of course, the tests aren't going to directly give me what a command
URL would look like, but this is the closest thing:
TestReplicationHandlerBackup.runBackupCommand(masterJetty,
ReplicationHandler.CMD_RESTORE, params);

And continue following the source just to be able to construct a
simple example like I gave here:

http://yonik.com/solr-5-2/

(so I finally tried it out, and it works... yay ;-)

So to recap:
- Consider CHANGES documentation.
- Describe *what* you are trying to implement in your JIRA issues, and
give API examples where appropriate.

-Yonik