For a long while on my local checkout, I have svn:ignore at the root level
set to ‘*’.  I really think we should consider committing this; I think
I’ve advocated for it before.

RE “precommit” being a pain — yeah but, like Mike already said, it catches
problems.  At least it’s faster lately than it used to be months ago.