In general DocValues were built to support large scale random access use
cases such as faceting and sorting. They have similar performance
characteristics as the FieldCache. But unlike the FieldCache you can trade
off memory and performance by selecting different DocValues formats.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/