Lucene maintains compatibility with earlier stable release index
versions, and to some extent transparently upgrades them.
But there is no guaranteed compatibility between different
in-development indexes.

E.g. 3.2 reads 3.1 indexes and upgrades them, but 3.2-dev-snapshot-10
(while happily handling 3.1) may fail reading 3.2-dev-snapshot-8
index, as they have the same version tag, yet different formats.

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 19:18, Earl Hood <e...@earlhood.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Under LUCENE-2720 the index format of both trunk and 3x has changed. You
>> should re-index any indexes created with either of these code streams.
>
> Does the "3x" refer to the 3.x development branch?
>
> I.e. For those of using the stable 3.x release of Lucene, will
> a future 3.x release require rebuilding indexes?
>
> --ewh

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785