The best practice would be to implement an application layer API that
enforces security and prevents application clients from directly accessing
Solr.

LucidWorks Fusion (or their earlier LucidWorks Enterprise product) supports
access control via search filters, including LDAP integration:
https://docs.lucidworks.com/display/help/Search+Filters+for+Access+Control

-- Jack Krupansky