Thanks a lot, Robert. This is the kind of bugs I am after.

Mike, thanks for the pointer (interesting bug!). You are right. By "subtle"
I mean their impact could have been overlooked (no crash/exception). If
Lucene was able to search despite a missing segment --it seems to me that
Lucene will always throw an exception, right?--, then that bug would
qualify.