I've filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6937 as a parent
issue to discuss and work through a migration.

I'm going to assume we are going to go ahead with this until someone steps
up and says otherwise. So far we seem to have consensus. In any case, that
JIRA is probably the best place to voice dissent.

With the complete Git repo, we still have to look at the build and any
other implications. Once that is done, we should probably open an INFRA
JIRA issue to start discussing what the INFRA team needs from us to
complete a migration.

- Mark

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've made some comments about the conversion process here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6933?focusedCommentId=15064208#comment-15064208
>
> Feel free to try it out.
> https://github.com/dweiss/lucene-solr-svn2git
>
> I don't know what the next steps are. This looks like a good starting
> point to switch over to git with all the development? The only thing I
> still plan on doing is getting rid of a few large binary blobs in
> historical resources, but even without it this seems acceptable size-wise
> (~200mb).
>
> Dawid
>

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > The question I had (I am sure a very dumb one): WHY do we care about
>> > history
>> preserved perfectly in Git?
>>
>> For me it's for sentimental, archival and task-challenge reasons.
>> Robert's requirement is that git praise/blame/log works and on a given file
>> and shows its true history of changes. Everyone has his own reasons I
>> guess. If the initial clone is small enough then I see no problem in
>> keeping the history if we can preserve it.
>>
>> Dawid
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 4:52 AM, david.w.smi...@gmail.com <
>> david.w.smi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 totally agree.  Any way; the bloat should largely be the binaries &
>>> unrelated projects, not code (small text files).

>>> Lucene/Solr Search Committer, Consultant, Developer, Author, Speaker
>>> LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley | Book:
>>> http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com
>>>

> --
- Mark