While this isn't something we have tests for in TestBackwardsCompatibility
(that only tests every previous version against the current version), we do
have tests in TestVersion for parsing versions that do not have constants
(see testForwardsCompatibility). Version constants are only shortcuts to
Version objects with known values, not what are passed around.