Hi Erick,

It is not clear to me what remaining data you are looking to get rid of.

You could purge unused field numbers by calling IndexWriter.addIndexes on a
reader wrapper that removes unused fields. But this is not something that
Lucene would do by itself. The fact that field numbers are reused is useful
in order to be able to copy raw bytes when merging stored fields (otherwise
you would have to decode/recode everything in order to remap field numbers).

Maybe what you remember are these 2 issues that improved the memory usage
of FieldInfos in the sparse case?
 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6325
 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6630